
Three ways that I could use blogs in my own teaching...
1. Writing Workshop: I can incorporate blogging into a writing center activity or workshop. It allows for students to improve their writing and motivate them because they are writing about their interests. Students can write about current events, beliefs, topics related to their education etc… The blogs can then be shared with other classmates and allows students to be on a computer/use technology all at the same time.
2. Reading Workshop: On the other end, students can read posts from their classmates or extend it out to a global network. Students can be assigned to read a certain number of posts and comment on the blogs.
3. Classroom/Teacher Blog: I can create a class blog to stay in touch with parents, fellow teachers, students, administrators etc…. Through a classroom blog I can share what we are doing in the classroom, explain my thoughts on teaching, interests, current research, and other aspects that relate to our class/teaching! Instead of sending weekly newsletters home every week I can post them on the blog!
1. Writing Workshop: I can incorporate blogging into a writing center activity or workshop. It allows for students to improve their writing and motivate them because they are writing about their interests. Students can write about current events, beliefs, topics related to their education etc… The blogs can then be shared with other classmates and allows students to be on a computer/use technology all at the same time.
2. Reading Workshop: On the other end, students can read posts from their classmates or extend it out to a global network. Students can be assigned to read a certain number of posts and comment on the blogs.
3. Classroom/Teacher Blog: I can create a class blog to stay in touch with parents, fellow teachers, students, administrators etc…. Through a classroom blog I can share what we are doing in the classroom, explain my thoughts on teaching, interests, current research, and other aspects that relate to our class/teaching! Instead of sending weekly newsletters home every week I can post them on the blog!

J - Great ideas. I'll show you how to set up a blog "reader" via Google or Bloglines. Then the entries of individual students will come to you via an RSS feed.
ReplyDeleteNice pink!
HI Jaclyn, I love that you will use this in writers workshop. As my year progresses I hope to so the same. At the beginning for first grade I think it might be difficult to use a blog for my students so I will make it for parents. I hope that as my year progresses, I can involved my students more. Cheers
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool idea about extending students' work with blogs into a global network. This could be an awesome opportunity for students to connect with peers their age around the world to learn about their different cultures. It could be the new-age pen pals!
ReplyDeleteHey Jack!
ReplyDeleteI love the writing workshop idea! It's not restrictive like an assignment or a paper would be; it gives students the freedom to write about a topic that's interesting to them. This is a great motivator. I like your profile picture as well! :-)
Jackie,
ReplyDeleteI especially like the idea of using blogs to communicate with parents. It's a great way to keep parents involved, whether or not they can actually make it into the classroom.